Spring weather hasn’t quite hit yet and a warm bowl of soup for those chilly nights sounded great. I needed a hearty soup that would fill everyone up. Tortellini soup was the perfect recipe! It takes less than an hour, makes a full meal with some great homemade bread (or use a coupon for french bread), and has the delicious Italian Tortellini flavor!
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1 package mild Italian sausage (approx 1 lb)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 TBSP garlic, minced
- 1 TBSP oregano, dried
- 1 tsp basil, dried
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 28 oz can of diced tomato, italian style
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 cups chicken stock
- rind from a slice of Parmigiano Reggiano
- 1 package frozen cheese tortellini, or as many as you think your family can eat in one sitting
- ½ cup fresh basil, chopped
- ½ cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- Place olive oil, onion, and sausage into a large stock pot over medium to medium high heat. If your sausage came in links, remove the outer casing first. Cook, stirring frequently, until the sausage is browned and the onions are soft. Add the garlic, oregano, red pepper, and tomato paste. Stir well and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, bay leaves, and chicken stock to the pot. Allow to come to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Add your Reggiano rind at this point.
- Let the soup simmer for about 30-45 minutes, and then add your tortellini. Cook in the soup according to package directions, which are usually pretty short for fresh pasta. As soon as the pasta is done, remove from heat, remove the remaining rind and discard, and stir in fresh basil, and grated Reggiano.
- Serve immediately with garlic bread and salad, and top the soup with additional Reggiano and some mozzarella.
Yummy! This soup looks sooo good! Checking this out from full plate Thursday!
Miz Helen says
Your Tortellini Soup looks so comforting and delicious! Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday today, it is great to have you at the party. Hope you have a very special week and come back soon!